Tuesday, May 13, 2008

To Write

"Did you ever get high on something other than a drink?" asked Krishna. I wasnt very sure when i was answering that. I said " I get high when i watch a very good scene or read a great line or most of all write a great line and feel that pride of being the author or rather a creator of something original, running through my nervous system".

The very first lines that i wrote on this blog was that i am one of the laziest creatures on earth, i dont stand to argue with that. Once in a while somethings take me to a parellel world. Its like that thing i learnt in science, if you are thrown away from earth a velocity greater than a specific amount, you get out into the space. Thats what happens when one gets a high.

I should totally dedicate this post to Shantaram . I bothered to grab it while i am travelling , i had still been lazy enough to keep away my arousal that i experienced after reading the first page. I should thank Ramki for pushing me onto this book. Well, i will come to the point. I think , i got goose bumps a hundred times already within just 140 pages of what i have read. Some important things to really take a note of.

1) Shantaram mentions that writing had been his saviour in the most difficult of the times. He used to carry pices of paper and write prose and poetry wherever he wanted to. And if he hadnt done that he claims he would have gone mad. From my experience i would say that its so true. I remember writing on a tissue paper in a restaurant one day. Writing is the best vent for man's thoughts that couldnt be absorbed by any other man. Writing is fluent as the fluid that curls around from the pen and takes its shape into such effective words weaved together that when you look back at it , you will realise that with all the threads of our thoughts , we had actually woven an art piece. And believe me, writing gives anyone a high, you should see me as i scurry my fingers now on my laptop with battery meter ticking off and my mind racing against it with thousand thoughts.

2) I always used to write about my dream girl in one form or the other. I should not actually be calling her the dream girl, but its more the girl that i wanted to write, like an artiste wanted to draw an imaginary figure. Whenever i tried to write some part of it, i had a feeling that i am going over board, and i am doing some thing that doesnt look very - whats the word - practical (not the right word). But shantaram's description of Karla kind of reassured me that it takes a lot of art and skill to write about what you admire and desire and looking at what you created or put into words will give you a lot of pleasure. This is so because writing such things is always an attempt to create a replica of your best admirations, and you look for that quality and finesse in what you write , because this is not a plain dream,this is where you assume the powers to bring something from dream to reality , and that i believe is (if he exists ) is second to God's Job.

3)Thought is the frailest thing that man would ever experience, it would be fluttering like a dragon fly's wing in your mind and it would be there, it would be here, and it would be gone, but when it runs through your fingers in a well constructed sentence, it is the deepest thing and the strongest thing. I think Shantaram taught me that once again that all the philosophies that we, or I blabber off given the slightest of the opportunity would appeal more when written down. I was amazed by the skill with which Shantaram wrote about what seemed to be the simplest of the realisations that we go through everyday but never actually stand to acknowledge and appreciate . We have a long life of short moments that more or less define what we are, but when we feel very empty once in a while, thats when we grope for those moments when we were transformed and re-defined to new life, when we took a new step from surviving to living, All such things will come to life when we write.

I think i will close the post there atleast to win against the electronic machine.
But will soon elaborate in some form of the other,
hopefully i will be less of a sloth and more of a writer .

No comments: